By accessing this site, you agree to be legally bound by and comply with this user agreement. By using the site, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this agreement.
- Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, browser version, the pages of our site that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages and other statistics.
- Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer or mobile device. Like many sites, we use “cookies” to collect information. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our site. Some pages on our site may set other third party cookies, from embedded content, such as videos and audio from our IowaWatch Connection radio program and podcast, from another site that sets a cookie. We can’t always control what cookies this third party content sets but try to minimize them.
- We may use third party services — such as those measuring traffic to our website, sending our newsletters, providing social media conveniences and facilitating donations — that may place cookies on your computer. We don’t have any way of knowing how such services handle the resulting data internally. The Iowa Center for Public Affairs Journalism makes no claim, nor takes liability for the insecure submission of information via these applications.
Here are the services whose cookies you can find on http://www.IowaWatch.org:
- Sharing buttons for Facebook and Twitter. These use the standard scripts provided by each company.
- Google Analytics, which we use to measure site traffic. Google Analytics gathers certain non-personally identifying information over time, such as your IP address, browser type, internet service provider, referring and exit pages, time stamp, and similar data.
- Mailchimp, to manage newsletter distributions.
We only collect personally identifiable information such as your name and email address when you sign up for a newsletter, donate to our organization, or otherwise submit it to us voluntarily. We do not share your personal data with third parties other than some common service providers, whose products use your information to help us improve our site, deliver newsletters, or allow us to offer donation opportunities. In most cases, your data remains private and cannot be shared with anyone else.
The Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting limits access to all user data for the purposes of newsletter, fundraising and customer service. User data is not sold to or otherwise shared with anyone not working with or for The Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting.
You may unsubscribe or opt-out of our email and mail communications at any time by hitting the “unsubscribe” button in any email you receive from the Iowa center, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (312) 970-0395.
The security of your personal information is important to The Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting those who operated the former Iowa Center for Public Affairs Journalism but no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100 percent secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. You provide us with this data at your own risk.
The identities of all donors for the Iowa center are listed at IowaWatch.org, in compliance with The Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting’s Policy on Financial Support. The Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting does not share, trade, sell or otherwise release donors’ personal information to any third parties.
Links to Other Websites
Our site may contain links to other websites that we think may be of interest to you. We have no control over these other sites or their content. You should be aware when you leave our site for another, and remember that other sites are governed by their own user agreements and privacy policies, which should be available to you to read.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
Although we take reasonable steps to prevent the introduction of viruses, worms, “Trojan Horses” or other destructive materials to our site, we do not guarantee or warrant that our site or materials that may be downloaded from our site are free from such destructive features. We are not liable for any damages or harm attributable to such features. We are not liable for any claim, loss or injury based on errors, omissions, interruptions or other inaccuracies on our site, nor for any claim, loss or injury that results from your use of this site or your breach of any provision of this User Agreement.
This User Agreement will be governed by the laws of the State of Illinois applicable to contracts made and performed there without regard to its conflicts of law principles. You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in Champaign County Illinois and waive any jurisdictional, venue or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
We reserve the right to terminate the site and this User Agreement at any time without notice for any reason, including, in the case of the User Agreement, for your violation of any of its provisions. The Limitation of Liability and Governing Law Sections of this User Agreement shall survive any such termination.
Changes to this User Agreement
The User Agreement for the Iowa center was effective as of May 25, 2018, with ratification by the Iowa Center for Public Affairs Journalism board of directors on June 8, 2018, and became effective with the posting on this page. The Midwest Center for Investigative Reporting User Agreement was effective as of May 25, 2018, and in effect immediately after being posted on this page.
We reserve the right to update or change our User Agreement at any time and you should check this User Agreement periodically. Your continued use of the site after we post any modifications to the User Agreement on this page will constitute your acknowledgment of the modifications and your consent to abide and be bound by the modified User Agreement.
If we make any material changes to this User Agreement, we will notify you either through the email address you have provided us, or by placing a prominent notice on our website.
If you have any questions about this User Agreement, please contact us at email@example.com or by calling (312) 970-0395.